1) 发言人(spokesman)明确表示总统在任何情况下都不会取消(cancel)这次旅行 。
The spokesman made it clear that the President would not cancel the trip under any circumstances.
Jack didn't know anything about any of the books on the bookshelf, so his choice was quite arbitrary.
The subsequent events confirmed my suspicions once again.
I think we should encourage high school students to find temporary jobs / employment during their summer holidays.
5) 令我们吃惊的是,这位常被赞为十分正直的州长(governor)竟然是个贪官(corrupt official) 。To our surprise, the governor who had often been praised for his honesty turned out to be a corrupt official.
6) 少数工人得到提升(be promoted),与此同时却有数百名工人被解雇。
A few workers were promoted, but meanwhile hundreds of workers were dismissed.
7) 如果有机会,约翰也许已成为一位杰出的画家了 。(given)
Given the chance, John might have become an outstanding painter.
8) 数小时后,有人看见那个男孩在林子里瞎转 。
Several hours later, the boy was found wandering around in the woods.
Many American students apply for government loans to pay for their education / tuition.
Besides reading materials, the use of films and multimedia can stimulate students' interest in a subject.
3) 这位律师试图说服陪审团(jury)他的当事人(client)是无辜的 。(convince sb. of) The attorney / lawyer tried to convince the jury of his client's innocence.
4) 提问常常会引发创造的火花 。
Asking questions often generates the spark of creativity.
5) 我已经把我的简历(résumé)寄往几家公司,但尚未收到回复 。
I have sent off my résumé to several corporations, but haven't yet received a reply.
6) 她的结论是建立在对当前国际情况进行了认真的分析的基础上的 。
Her conclusion is built / based on a careful analysis of current international affairs.
We came to the meeting full of expectations, yet we left very disappointed.
8) 暂时他只得接受了一份给一家化妆品公司发促销传单的活儿 。
At the moment he has to take the job of distributing leaflets to promote products for a cosmetic company.
1) 就能力而言,我肯定他能胜任这件工作 。
As far as ability is concerned, I am sure he will qualify for the job.
2) 认为约翰会因为他的失礼(being impolite)而向他们正式道歉,那就错了 。
It is wrong to assume that John will formally apologize to them for being impolite.
3) 这一丑闻(scandal)对正在力争赢得大选的工党(the Labour Party)来说,无疑是一件尴尬的事。
This scandal will undoubtedly be an embarrassment to the Labour Party, which is trying hard to win the election.
4) 我正在努力地写学期论文(term paper),可是我的小妹妹却不断冲进我的房间打扰我 。(at work on ...)
I was hard at work on a term paper, but my baby sister kept interrupting me by bursting into my room.
I asked her several times, but she refused to respond to my question.
6) 在西方,人们常常邮购商品,这可以节省许多时间 。
In the West, people often send away for mail-order goods, which can save a lot of time.
7) 抱歉, 时间不多了,我建议我们跳到最后一章。
Sorry time is running out; I suggest we skip to the last chapter.
8) 既然你决心尽快完成硕士课程(master's program), 那就别让你的社交生活(social life)妨碍你的学习 。
Since you have set your mind to finishing your master's program as soon as possible, don't let your social life stand in the way of your studies.
1) 装了(fitted with) 假肢(artificial leg),他起初走路走不稳,但经过锻炼他的步子(step) 稳了 。Fitted with the artificial leg, he walked unsteadily / shakily at first, but with practice his steps became steady.
2) 医生说我得了重感冒,给我开了四种药,三种是药片,饭后服,另一种是药水(liquid),睡前服 。
The doctor said I had caught a severe cold and she prescribed me four different medicines. Three of them are pills to be taken after meals and the other is liquid to be drunk before going to bed. 3) 我妹妹的爱犬被人偷走后,她心里难受了好几个星期。
My sister felt miserable for weeks after she had her pet dog stolen.
4) 汽车早已开走看不见了,珍妮(Jenny) 还站在大门口凝视着路的尽头。
Jenny was still standing at the gate gazing at the end of the road long after the car was out of sight.
5) 就我所知,他们相互感情上疏远已有一些时间了 。
As far as I know, they have been emotionally detached from each other for some time.
6) 一般来说,通过增加供给或减少需求可以降低物价 。
In general, prices may be brought down by increasing supply or decreasing demand.
1) 像平常一样,他在开始洗漱(get washed)前,将收音机调至早晨七点的新闻广播 。
As usual, he tuned his radio for the 7 a.m. news broadcast before he began to get washed.
2) 有许多文件要签,但紧急的只有这份合同 。
There are a lot of papers to sign, but the only urgent one is this contract.
3) 在该市,因吸毒(drug abuse)和赌博(gambling)而引发的罪行在发展,当地政府似乎找不出对付这一问题的办法。
In that city crime born of drug abuse and gambling is on the rise, and the local government seems unable to figure out a way to cope with it.
4) 在那些日子里,我能弄到什么就看什么,只要是用英文写的。(get one's hands on)
In those days I would read everything I could get my hands on so / as long as it was written in English.
5) 我敢肯定那座楼在空袭(air raid)中一定被完全炸毁了 。
I bet the building must have been completely destroyed in the air raid.
6) 她被这突如其来的打击(unexpected blow)吓得好几分钟讲不出一句话来 。
She was so scared by the unexpected blow that she could not speak a word for several minutes.
7) 幸好惊慌中她抓住了他的大衣, 否则她会从栏杆上掉下去。
Lucky enough she grabbed hold of his overcoat in panic, otherwise she would have fallen over the rail.
We didn't like his attitude that he deserved special treatment.
2) 即使你是班上最好的学生之一,要保住成绩也得常常温习功课才行 。
Even if you are one of the best students in class, in order to maintain your grades you must review your lessons often.
3) 过去有关太空时代的某些幻想已经成为现实 。
Some of the old fantasies about the space age have come true.
4) 情况确实是如此,有些人一生中很早就获得成功,而另一些人则要工作很长时间方能实现自己的目标 。
It is true that some people achieve success very early in life, while others must work a long time before attaining their goals.
5) 他坚持认为这次实验的失败主要由于准备不足(inadequate) 。
He maintained that the failure of the experiment was largely due to inadequate preparation. 6) 如今研究人员提倡我们应该每天花些时间将自己想要达到的目标投射到心灵的屏幕上 。Researchers now recommend that we take time every day to project our desired goals onto the screen in our minds.
In fact, there are different accounts of the shipwreck in the newspapers.
It is said that the area was well advanced in agriculture as early as 2,000 years ago.
3) 瞧他是如何操作这机器的,然后就照着做 。
Watch how he operates the machine and then do likewise.
Kong Fansen embodies all the fine qualities of a communist.
5) 在那些国家的职业妇女中,有三十多岁才生育的趋势 。
Among the professional women in these countries, there is a trend towards having children in their thirties.
There is an interval of a week between Christmas and New Year's Day.。